GJM MLAs` plea to sit in opposition in Assembly re
Kolkata: The Speaker of West Bengal assembly today rejected the plea seeking that the three GJM MLAs, who at present sit on the treasury bench with the ruling Trinamool Congress, be switched over to the opposition.
Speaker Biman Banerjee told reporters here that the prayer was rejected on technical grounds since the assembly rules were not followed.
He said the letter was written to him by Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) general secretary Roshan Giri and not by the MLAs concerned or by the legislature party.
The three GJM MLAs, Harka Bahadur Chhetri, T K Dewan and Rohit Sharma represent Darjeeling, Kalimpong and Kurseong Assembly segments respectively.
GJM General Secretary Roshan Giri had recently said that a letter was written to the speaker that the MLAs would not sit with those of the ruling party and from the next session would sit with the opposition.
GJM President Bimal Gurung today said that the agitation in Darjeeling was to protest the arrest of GJM leaders and Gorkhaland supporters "in the present crackdown by the state government`s police against the movement for Gorkhaland."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey