GJM MLAs` plea to sit in opposition in Assembly re
Kolkata: The Speaker of West Bengal assembly today rejected the plea seeking that the three GJM MLAs, who at present sit on the treasury bench with the ruling Trinamool Congress, be switched over to the opposition.
Speaker Biman Banerjee told reporters here that the prayer was rejected on technical grounds since the assembly rules were not followed.
He said the letter was written to him by Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) general secretary Roshan Giri and not by the MLAs concerned or by the legislature party.
The three GJM MLAs, Harka Bahadur Chhetri, T K Dewan and Rohit Sharma represent Darjeeling, Kalimpong and Kurseong Assembly segments respectively.
GJM General Secretary Roshan Giri had recently said that a letter was written to the speaker that the MLAs would not sit with those of the ruling party and from the next session would sit with the opposition.
GJM President Bimal Gurung today said that the agitation in Darjeeling was to protest the arrest of GJM leaders and Gorkhaland supporters "in the present crackdown by the state government`s police against the movement for Gorkhaland."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site
- Shocking! In Madhya Pradesh, child dies after given nitrous oxide instead of oxygen