GJM MLAs` plea to sit in opposition in Assembly re
Kolkata: The Speaker of West Bengal assembly today rejected the plea seeking that the three GJM MLAs, who at present sit on the treasury bench with the ruling Trinamool Congress, be switched over to the opposition.
Speaker Biman Banerjee told reporters here that the prayer was rejected on technical grounds since the assembly rules were not followed.
He said the letter was written to him by Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) general secretary Roshan Giri and not by the MLAs concerned or by the legislature party.
The three GJM MLAs, Harka Bahadur Chhetri, T K Dewan and Rohit Sharma represent Darjeeling, Kalimpong and Kurseong Assembly segments respectively.
GJM General Secretary Roshan Giri had recently said that a letter was written to the speaker that the MLAs would not sit with those of the ruling party and from the next session would sit with the opposition.
GJM President Bimal Gurung today said that the agitation in Darjeeling was to protest the arrest of GJM leaders and Gorkhaland supporters "in the present crackdown by the state government`s police against the movement for Gorkhaland."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal