GJM MLAs` plea to sit in opposition in Assembly re
Kolkata: The Speaker of West Bengal assembly today rejected the plea seeking that the three GJM MLAs, who at present sit on the treasury bench with the ruling Trinamool Congress, be switched over to the opposition.
Speaker Biman Banerjee told reporters here that the prayer was rejected on technical grounds since the assembly rules were not followed.
He said the letter was written to him by Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) general secretary Roshan Giri and not by the MLAs concerned or by the legislature party.
The three GJM MLAs, Harka Bahadur Chhetri, T K Dewan and Rohit Sharma represent Darjeeling, Kalimpong and Kurseong Assembly segments respectively.
GJM General Secretary Roshan Giri had recently said that a letter was written to the speaker that the MLAs would not sit with those of the ruling party and from the next session would sit with the opposition.
GJM President Bimal Gurung today said that the agitation in Darjeeling was to protest the arrest of GJM leaders and Gorkhaland supporters "in the present crackdown by the state government`s police against the movement for Gorkhaland."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video