GJM MLAs to meet Mamata Banerjee during her Darjeeling visit next week
Darjeeling: The GJM, under pressure after the West Bengal government`s crackdown on its agitation for Gorkhaland, has decided on a 180 degree turn with its three legislators to meet Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee during her visit to Darjeeling next week.
The three legislators, Rohit Sharma from Kurseong, Harka Bahadur Chettri from Kalimpong and Trilok Dewan from Darjeeling would meet the on October 24 when the CM visits the hills, GJM General Secretary Roshan Giri told reporters.
Sharma said, "We will meet the chief minister during her visit as protocol demands."
Though Giri at a press conference here yesterday did not spell out the reasons for the meeting of the three MLAs with Banerjee, who has ruled out a division of the state, GJM sources said that it was to remove friction between the party and the state government.
The sources said that also on the agenda would be the large-scale arrests of members of the GJM and the Gorkhaland Territorial Administration (GTA).
Altogether 1300 people, including 13 members of the GTA have been arrested so far, police sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UNBELIEVABLE! CEO of Baba Ramdev's Patanjali Ayurved works for 15 hours/day but takes no salary!
- Technology has opened up our cinema to everybody: Aishwarya Rai Bachchan
- HILARIOUS! How Virender Sehwag trolled birthday boy Rohit Sharma in his inimitable style
- Section 144 imposed in Jind as Jat leaders start 'jail bharo' movement
- PM Narendra Modi salutes 'Shramiks' hard work, determination on Labour Day