GJM questions Trinamool`s maiden rally in Darjeeling hills
Darjeeling: As Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee left for a five-day visit to north Bengal and to also participate in the first Trinamool Congress rally in Darjeeling, the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) Tuesday questioned her party`s intentions behind organising the programme.
"I don`t know what this rally is all about. Will they (Trinamool) be able to meet the aspirations of the people in the hills? We are fighting for the identity of the people here," GJM president Bimal Gurung told media persons here.
In an attempt to increase the party influence in the Darjeeling hills, the Trinamool will hold its maiden rally in the heart of Darjeeling town Oct 24.
After the GJM which is spearheading a separatist movement in the hills expressed its desire to meet Banerjee during the visit, elected members of the Gorkhaland Territorial Administration (GTA) the autonomous body administering Darjeeling hills, too want to meet the chief minister.
"She (Banerjee) is welcome to hold any official meeting with us. We have informed GTA principal secretary (R.D. Meena) to intimate the state government regarding our wish to hold a meeting with her," said GTA`s deputy chief executive Ramesh Allay.
He said GTA members are planning to meet her Oct 25.
The GJM, which had earlier ruled out any dialogue with the Banerjee regime, said its three legislators - Rohit Sharma from Kurseong, Harka Bahadur Chettri from Kalimpong and Trilok Dewan from Darjeeling - would meet Banerjee Oct 24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH