GJM Sikkim to continue press for Gorkhaland demand
Gangtok: Newly elected GJM Sikkim unit
president Bhawani Pradhan on Tuesday said the Gorkha Janmukti
Morcha Sikkim unit would continue to press for the statehood
demand for Darjeeling Hills and the Gorkhaland Territorial
Authority (GTA) was just a “temporary arrangement”.
"Now the party is taking its demand forward in a
democratic way with initiatives and trying to mobilise support
on Gorkhaland for which our MLAs and MP will speak in the
assembly and the parliament," Pradhan said after being elected
the Sikkim unit chief.
He said GTA will help to build the infrastructure and
human resources in the hills area and that will come in handy
"when we get statehood."
The new executive committee has Deependra Dewan, BB
Thapa, Dawa Sherpa, Jeewan Thapa as vice-presidents, Sudip Rai
as General Secretary, Bimal Pradhan, Ajay Megi, Suman Khawas,
Umesh Chettri and Kumar Rai as Assistant General Secretaries,
and Suraj Rai as Publicity Secretary.
The committee has Kuber Chandra Dahal as the chief
GJM’s assistant general secretary Tamang said the
Morcha has a clear stand of not interfering in Sikkim
He said creating infrastructure under GTA will also
create opportunities for the people of Sikkim since it would
require manpower from the state for the formation of the GTA.
"We are indebted for the support from Sikkim and the
state government and especially the Chief Minister (Pawan
Chamling) who passed a resolution for Gorkhaland in the
Assembly," Tamang said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday