GJM Sikkim to continue press for Gorkhaland demand
Gangtok: Newly elected GJM Sikkim unit
president Bhawani Pradhan on Tuesday said the Gorkha Janmukti
Morcha Sikkim unit would continue to press for the statehood
demand for Darjeeling Hills and the Gorkhaland Territorial
Authority (GTA) was just a “temporary arrangement”.
"Now the party is taking its demand forward in a
democratic way with initiatives and trying to mobilise support
on Gorkhaland for which our MLAs and MP will speak in the
assembly and the parliament," Pradhan said after being elected
the Sikkim unit chief.
He said GTA will help to build the infrastructure and
human resources in the hills area and that will come in handy
"when we get statehood."
The new executive committee has Deependra Dewan, BB
Thapa, Dawa Sherpa, Jeewan Thapa as vice-presidents, Sudip Rai
as General Secretary, Bimal Pradhan, Ajay Megi, Suman Khawas,
Umesh Chettri and Kumar Rai as Assistant General Secretaries,
and Suraj Rai as Publicity Secretary.
The committee has Kuber Chandra Dahal as the chief
GJM’s assistant general secretary Tamang said the
Morcha has a clear stand of not interfering in Sikkim
He said creating infrastructure under GTA will also
create opportunities for the people of Sikkim since it would
require manpower from the state for the formation of the GTA.
"We are indebted for the support from Sikkim and the
state government and especially the Chief Minister (Pawan
Chamling) who passed a resolution for Gorkhaland in the
Assembly," Tamang said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'