GJM terms Left loss in Siliguri polls as verdict for change
Kolkata: The Gorkha Janmukti Morcha, which is
spearheading a campaign for separate state `Gorkhaland`, on Wednesday termed the TC-Congress combine`s victory in Siliguri Municipal Corporation election as a "verdict for change", saying that
people were "fed up" with the Left "misrule".
"People wanted a change. People were fed up with misrule
of the Left Front government and aggressive stand of the state
Urban Development Minister and party MLA representing Siliguri
Ashok Bhattacherjee," the GJM General Secretary Roshan Giri
said from Darjeeling.
"We hope the new civic body will look after the interest
of the people," he said.
The Left Front lost the civic polls in Siliguri, Bengal`s
second most important commercial hub, after 28 years.
The Trinamool Congress-Congress combine bagged 29 seats
of the 47-member board -- Congress 15 seats, Trinamool 14 and
an Independent backed by the alliance won one.
Trinamool had contested 24 seats and Congress 23 for the
elections held last Sunday. The Left Front which had 36 seats,
managed to win only 17.
The Left Front`s defeat came after its debacle in the
state panchayat elections last year and in the recent Lok
Sabha polls, besides elections to some municipalities and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'