GJM terms Left loss in Siliguri polls as verdict for change
Kolkata: The Gorkha Janmukti Morcha, which is
spearheading a campaign for separate state `Gorkhaland`, on Wednesday termed the TC-Congress combine`s victory in Siliguri Municipal Corporation election as a "verdict for change", saying that
people were "fed up" with the Left "misrule".
"People wanted a change. People were fed up with misrule
of the Left Front government and aggressive stand of the state
Urban Development Minister and party MLA representing Siliguri
Ashok Bhattacherjee," the GJM General Secretary Roshan Giri
said from Darjeeling.
"We hope the new civic body will look after the interest
of the people," he said.
The Left Front lost the civic polls in Siliguri, Bengal`s
second most important commercial hub, after 28 years.
The Trinamool Congress-Congress combine bagged 29 seats
of the 47-member board -- Congress 15 seats, Trinamool 14 and
an Independent backed by the alliance won one.
Trinamool had contested 24 seats and Congress 23 for the
elections held last Sunday. The Left Front which had 36 seats,
managed to win only 17.
The Left Front`s defeat came after its debacle in the
state panchayat elections last year and in the recent Lok
Sabha polls, besides elections to some municipalities and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach