GJM threatens fresh stir in Darjeeling hills
Darjeeling: The Gorkha Janmukti Morcha has
given an ultimatum to the Centre saying it would revive its
statehood agitation if the Gorkhaland Territorial
Administration Bill is not signed by March 27.
"We will burn copies of the tripartite agreement between
the GJM, state government and the Centre if the Gorkhaland
Territorial Administration is no implemented by March 27,"
Harka Bhadur Chetri, a leader of the hill-based party, told
Chetri, who was part of a delegation that visited Union
Home Minister P Chidambaram yesterday, said the minister had
assured them that the formalities for the Bill were in
The GJM leaders will meet West Bengal Chief Minister
Mamata Banerjee in Darjeeling this evening to demand early
implementation of the GTA, he said.
Earlier on February 11, the Chief Minister on a visit
to Darjeeling had blamed the Centre for the delay in
implementation of the GTA and said that New Delhi had sought
certain clarifications which had also been sent.
She subsequently met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in
Delhi on February 22.
Banerjee said that she had raised the GTA Bill with
the Prime Minister and received an assurance from him on the
The GTA Bill was passed in the West Bengal Assembly on
September two last year.
The tripartite agreement was signed on July 18 last
year in the presence of Union Home Minister P Chidambaram,
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and GJM chief Bimal Gurung at
Pintail village, about 8 km from Siliguri.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31