GJM threatens to launch fresh agitation
Darjeeling (WB): The Gorkha Janmukti Morcha
has threatened to launch a fresh agitation for statehood in
the Darjeeling Hills if the West Bengal government fails to
implement the Gorkha Territorial Administration by March 27.
"If the government fails to implement the GTA by March 27
then we will be forced to launch an agitation for Gorkhaland,"
GJM president Bimal Gurung said at Jamuni, about 12 km from
Gurung said he would visit Delhi by the end of this month
to hold talks with Union Home Minister P Chidambaram for
speedy implementation of the GTA.
The GTA agreement was signed on July 18 last year in the
presence of Chidambaram, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata
Banerjee, but no progress has been made over setting up of the
GTA, Gurung alleged.
One of the major problems for the early implementation of
the GTA is `delay` by the high powered territorial committee
headed by Justice (retd) Shyamal Sen in submitting its report
on the GJM`s demand for the inclusion of Gorkha-dominated
areas of the Dooars and the Terai in the hill arrangement,
official sources said.
The GTA cannot be implemented unless the territorial
jurisdiction of the new body is finalised up.
Meanwhile, the CPRM and All India Gorkha League today
criticised the GJM for the slow pace of progress in setting up
of the GTA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video