GJM to revive stir if Telangana demand is granted
Darjeeling: Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) has threatened to revive its stir for a separate state in the Darjeeling hills if the Centre granted the demand for Telangana and bifurcated Andhra Pradesh.
GJM general secretary Roshan Giri said here today the party will send a memorandum to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, All India Congress Committee president Sonia Gandhi and Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde demanding that the Centre concede the demand for Gorkhaland along with Telangana.
"We think the Centre would take the final call on the matter tomorrow," he told reporters after a prolonged five-hour meeting of the GJM central committee called to discuss the Telangana issue vis-a-vis the statehood demand.
Asked what would happen to Gorkhaland Territorial Administration, that had replaced the Darjeeling Gorkha Hill Council, in case the demand for Telangana is granted and GJM revives its statehood demand, Giri said "Time will decide everything. We are waiting for what the Centre will do tomorrow."
GJM sources said its president Bimal Gurung had discussed the matter with his colleagues in the central committee before the party came out with the decision of re-launching the statehood movement in case the Centre gives its nod to the creation of Telangana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir