GJM`s four-hour bandh to show respect to Tamang
Siliguri: Gorkha Janamukti Morcha,
which has been blamed for AIGL leader Madan Tamang`s murder,
has called a four-hour bandh in Darjeeling hills tomorrow "as
a mark of respect to Tamang during his funeral".
GJM general secretary Roshan Giri said today that shops
and other business establishments would be closed for four
hours during Tamang`s funeral to show him respect.
Earlier, 45 GJM supporters were detained and GJM
president Bimal Gurung and its general secretary Roshan Giri
named in an FIR filed by the police in connection with
Tamang`s brutal killing on Friday.
Meanwhile, for the second day running, candle-lit
processions were taken out on the streets of Darjeeling town
this afternoon to express grief for Tamang.
Hundreds of people converged on the important
intersections in the town and went round in processions.
Police are patrolling the streets for the first time in
two years since GJM-sponsored Gorkhaland police took control
of `maintaining law and order` in hills.
"The police have been patrolling and maintaining traffic.
It has instilled confidence in the public and they are coming
out to protest Tamang`s murder," Inspector General of Police
(North Bengal) K L Tamta, who has been camping in Darjeeling,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday