GNLF declares support for Trinamool candidate in Darjeeling
Darjeeling: The Gorkha National Liberation Front of Subash Ghising on Friday declared its support for Trinamool Congress candidate for the Darjeeling Lok Sabha constituency Baichung Bhutia.
Making the announcement after a GNLF central committee meeting here, spokesman Dhiren Lama said the hill body has also appealed to the central and the state governments to restore the Darjeeling Gorkha Hill Council which, it claimed, had not been dissolved.
Earlier in March, the Trinamool Congress leadership had approached the GNLF seeking its support for its candidate after the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha declared its support for the BJP candidate S S Ahluwalia.
The TMC leadership feared that it would stand to lose a considerable portion of hill votes because of the party`s bitter relationship with the Morcha.
Lama said that the GNLF has invited state minister Gautam Deb to the GNLF foundation day meeting tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands