GNLF declares support for Trinamool candidate in Darjeeling
Darjeeling: The Gorkha National Liberation Front of Subash Ghising on Friday declared its support for Trinamool Congress candidate for the Darjeeling Lok Sabha constituency Baichung Bhutia.
Making the announcement after a GNLF central committee meeting here, spokesman Dhiren Lama said the hill body has also appealed to the central and the state governments to restore the Darjeeling Gorkha Hill Council which, it claimed, had not been dissolved.
Earlier in March, the Trinamool Congress leadership had approached the GNLF seeking its support for its candidate after the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha declared its support for the BJP candidate S S Ahluwalia.
The TMC leadership feared that it would stand to lose a considerable portion of hill votes because of the party`s bitter relationship with the Morcha.
Lama said that the GNLF has invited state minister Gautam Deb to the GNLF foundation day meeting tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred