GNLF declares support for Trinamool candidate in Darjeeling
Darjeeling: The Gorkha National Liberation Front of Subash Ghising on Friday declared its support for Trinamool Congress candidate for the Darjeeling Lok Sabha constituency Baichung Bhutia.
Making the announcement after a GNLF central committee meeting here, spokesman Dhiren Lama said the hill body has also appealed to the central and the state governments to restore the Darjeeling Gorkha Hill Council which, it claimed, had not been dissolved.
Earlier in March, the Trinamool Congress leadership had approached the GNLF seeking its support for its candidate after the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha declared its support for the BJP candidate S S Ahluwalia.
The TMC leadership feared that it would stand to lose a considerable portion of hill votes because of the party`s bitter relationship with the Morcha.
Lama said that the GNLF has invited state minister Gautam Deb to the GNLF foundation day meeting tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- Market tries to recover from Brexit blow, Sensex up 122 points
- Volkswagen agrees to $14.7 billion payout in US emissions probe
- Surprising! Kumar Sangakkara picks Rahul Dravid over Sachin Tendulkar in his All-Time XI
- Travel diaries: Bipasha Basu, hubby Karan Singh Grover are now holidaying in Barcelona
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin files petition in Bihar court, claims threat to his life from state govt