Good that people have given `job` to my son, quips Pranab
Kolkata: Happy at his son Abhijit Mukherjee`s victory in the West Bengal assembly polls, union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee Sunday said it was good that the people have given him a `job` as he had taken voluntary retirement to contest the elections.
`Of course, as father, I am happy at his success,` Mukherjee told reporters here.
The Congress heavyweight recalled that after taking voluntary retirement from a key post with a company, Abhijit Mukherjee had told a newspaper that the only problem he faced after waking up in the morning was that he had no work to do.
`He found he does not have to leave for office at 9.30 am. Then the newspaper commented that perhaps he is seeking a job from the people of Nalhati (constituency). Good that the people of Nalhati have given him a job to serve them,` the union finance minister said.
Pranab Mukerjee, however, said that Abhijit for him was just one of the 65 Congress candidates in the polls. `I have given as much time campaigning in his constituency as I have given for other candidates.`
Abhijit, 51, won from the rural constituency close to the Jharkhand border in Birbhum district by a margin of 15,160 votes over his Forward Bloc rival Dipak Chatterjee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi