Gorkha protestors torch Darjeeling police station
Kurseong: Activists of the Vidhyarthi Morcha, a student wing of the regional Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJMM) have torched a police station in Kurseong in the Darjeeling Hills.
Protestors set fire the Kurseong Police Station and police vehicles parked outside, following the arrest of fellow activists earlier in the day.
The house of Shanti Chettri, a member of the state legislative assembly representing Kurseong, was also set alight while she was visiting her ill husband in hospital.
"I don`t know why they have done and why they targeted me. I never protested and they call themselves ``Gandhians``. They claim they are democratic. Is this a Gandhian movement? They are creating so many problems. I have been in hospital for the last 20 days. What is the state government doing? The police are doing nothing, they can`t even arrest a person," said Chettri.
The 24-hour strike was called in several parts of the Darjeeling hills after police prevented the GJM activists from taking out a mass rally to press their demand for a separate Gorkhaland state.
The activists have threatened to continue their agitation until the central government concedes to their demand for a political dialogue on the Gorkhaland issue.
Gorkhas have been demanding a separate state, to be carved out of West Bengal, to protect their culture and heritage.
The Gorkha population in West Bengal is estimated to be around a million.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant