Gorkha protestors torch Darjeeling police station
Kurseong: Activists of the Vidhyarthi Morcha, a student wing of the regional Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJMM) have torched a police station in Kurseong in the Darjeeling Hills.
Protestors set fire the Kurseong Police Station and police vehicles parked outside, following the arrest of fellow activists earlier in the day.
The house of Shanti Chettri, a member of the state legislative assembly representing Kurseong, was also set alight while she was visiting her ill husband in hospital.
"I don`t know why they have done and why they targeted me. I never protested and they call themselves ``Gandhians``. They claim they are democratic. Is this a Gandhian movement? They are creating so many problems. I have been in hospital for the last 20 days. What is the state government doing? The police are doing nothing, they can`t even arrest a person," said Chettri.
The 24-hour strike was called in several parts of the Darjeeling hills after police prevented the GJM activists from taking out a mass rally to press their demand for a separate Gorkhaland state.
The activists have threatened to continue their agitation until the central government concedes to their demand for a political dialogue on the Gorkhaland issue.
Gorkhas have been demanding a separate state, to be carved out of West Bengal, to protect their culture and heritage.
The Gorkha population in West Bengal is estimated to be around a million.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!