Gorkhaland: Amendment of DGHC act in process
Kolkata: The Centre has told West Bengal government that amendment to the Darjeeling Gorkha Hill Council Act is in process and will be finalised after receiving the draft from the Union Law Ministry, the Calcutta High Court was informed on Thursday.
Somnath Bose, appearing for the Centre, told the court of Justice Dipankar Dutta that the state government`s Hill Affairs Department wrote on December 24 a letter to the union government that it had introduced the Gorkhaland Territorial Administration Act and accordingly the Board had been formed.
The state government also informed the Centre that the DGHC Act will be amended to give legitimacy to the GTA Act, he said.
Gorkha National Liberation Front leader Subhas Ghising had earlier challenged the GTA Act in the Calcutta High Court on the ground that it cannot be introduced when the DGHC Act was still in force.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves