Gorkhaland: Amendment of DGHC act in process
Kolkata: The Centre has told West Bengal government that amendment to the Darjeeling Gorkha Hill Council Act is in process and will be finalised after receiving the draft from the Union Law Ministry, the Calcutta High Court was informed on Thursday.
Somnath Bose, appearing for the Centre, told the court of Justice Dipankar Dutta that the state government`s Hill Affairs Department wrote on December 24 a letter to the union government that it had introduced the Gorkhaland Territorial Administration Act and accordingly the Board had been formed.
The state government also informed the Centre that the DGHC Act will be amended to give legitimacy to the GTA Act, he said.
Gorkha National Liberation Front leader Subhas Ghising had earlier challenged the GTA Act in the Calcutta High Court on the ground that it cannot be introduced when the DGHC Act was still in force.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why