Gorkhaland: Amendment of DGHC act in process
Kolkata: The Centre has told West Bengal government that amendment to the Darjeeling Gorkha Hill Council Act is in process and will be finalised after receiving the draft from the Union Law Ministry, the Calcutta High Court was informed on Thursday.
Somnath Bose, appearing for the Centre, told the court of Justice Dipankar Dutta that the state government`s Hill Affairs Department wrote on December 24 a letter to the union government that it had introduced the Gorkhaland Territorial Administration Act and accordingly the Board had been formed.
The state government also informed the Centre that the DGHC Act will be amended to give legitimacy to the GTA Act, he said.
Gorkha National Liberation Front leader Subhas Ghising had earlier challenged the GTA Act in the Calcutta High Court on the ground that it cannot be introduced when the DGHC Act was still in force.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda