Gorkhaland: Amendment of DGHC act in process
Kolkata: The Centre has told West Bengal government that amendment to the Darjeeling Gorkha Hill Council Act is in process and will be finalised after receiving the draft from the Union Law Ministry, the Calcutta High Court was informed on Thursday.
Somnath Bose, appearing for the Centre, told the court of Justice Dipankar Dutta that the state government`s Hill Affairs Department wrote on December 24 a letter to the union government that it had introduced the Gorkhaland Territorial Administration Act and accordingly the Board had been formed.
The state government also informed the Centre that the DGHC Act will be amended to give legitimacy to the GTA Act, he said.
Gorkha National Liberation Front leader Subhas Ghising had earlier challenged the GTA Act in the Calcutta High Court on the ground that it cannot be introduced when the DGHC Act was still in force.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'