Gorkhaland: Amendment of DGHC act in process
Kolkata: The Centre has told West Bengal government that amendment to the Darjeeling Gorkha Hill Council Act is in process and will be finalised after receiving the draft from the Union Law Ministry, the Calcutta High Court was informed on Thursday.
Somnath Bose, appearing for the Centre, told the court of Justice Dipankar Dutta that the state government`s Hill Affairs Department wrote on December 24 a letter to the union government that it had introduced the Gorkhaland Territorial Administration Act and accordingly the Board had been formed.
The state government also informed the Centre that the DGHC Act will be amended to give legitimacy to the GTA Act, he said.
Gorkha National Liberation Front leader Subhas Ghising had earlier challenged the GTA Act in the Calcutta High Court on the ground that it cannot be introduced when the DGHC Act was still in force.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday