Gorkhaland demand not a closed chapter: GJM
Sukna: The demand for Gorkhaland was not a closed chapter, a member of the Gorkha Janamukti Morcha (GJM) said Monday while describing the tripartite agreement as a temporary solution rather than a permanent one.
"As far as the Gorkhaland demand is concerned, it is not a closed chapter...the Gorkha Territorial Administration (GTA) is just a temporary settlement for the economic development of the Darjeeling hills. It is not a permanent solution," said T. Arjun, member of the `intellectual forum of the GJM` and a former West Bengal civil services officer.
The West Bengal and central governments as well as the GJM will later in the day sign a tripartite agreement at Sukna in Kurseong sub-division, near the plains of Siliguri of Darjeeling district.
At the core of the agreement is the formation of a new autonomous, elected hill council, the Gorkhaland Territorial Administration (GTA), armed with more powers compared to its former avatar, the Darjeeling Gorkha Hill Council, formed in the late 1980s.
Asked if the GJM would withdraw its demand for a separate state if the GTA worked properly, Arjun said: "If the West Bengal government supports us and if there is goodwill, then we will not have any movement as of now but the demand will always be there."
He added that GJM chief Bimal Gurung would not take up any office in the GTA but would provide guidance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’