Gorkhaland demand remains: Bimal Gurung
Darjeeling/Siliguri: A day after the
signing of the tripartite agreement on Darjeeling, Gorkha
Janmukti Morcha chief Bimal Gurung on Tuesday said its original
demand for Gorkhaland still stands.
"The original demand for Gorkhaland remains. We have
never said that we have withdrawn our demand for Gorkhaland,"
Gurung told a press conference in Darjeeling.
When told that Chief Minister Minister Mamata Banerjee
had categorically said that there would be no division of West
Bengal, he said, "That is absolutely her personal and
He, however, added "at the same time we will work for
the development of Darjeeling."
On Banerjee`s announcement that elections will be held
within six months to the new council, Gorkhaland Territorial
Authority, Gurung asserted this could only be held after GJM`s
demand for inclusion of 196 mouzas in the Terai and Dooars in
the plains was conceded.
Meanwhile in Siliguri, CPI-M leader and former
minister Ashok Bhattacharjee alleged that the GTA has sowed
the seeds for long-term discord.
He said his party had always been against the GJM`s
demand for inclusion of areas in the Terai and the Dooars in
the jurisdiction of the hill council.
He also questioned how the state government would find
land for a 1,000-acre proposed SEZ in north Bengal.
"The Trinamool Congress came to power on the plank of
anti-land acquisition and I wonder how it will acquire the
land for the special economic zone," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi