Gorkhaland: `Ghar Bitra Janta` a huge success, says GJM chief
Kolkata: Terming "Ghar Bitra Janta" (people inside homes) a huge success, GJM supremo Bimal Gurung on Monday said that for the next four days they would organise "Janta Sadak Ma" (people on streets) to press for the demand of Gorkhaland.
"`Ghar Bitra Janta` was a huge success. Now for the next four days it is "Janta Sadak Ma" and I appeal to all the people who want Gorkhaland to participate in democratic and peaceful rallies for Gorkhaland," Gurung said in a Facebook post.
The queen of the hills wore a deserted look today with residents staying indoors as the CRPF, police and RPF jawans patrolled the streets and railway station premises.
People stayed back in their homes as part of an agitation announced by the Gorkhaland Joint Action Committee, sources said.
The Darjeeling hills have been on boil for last one month over the renewed demand of separate state of Gorkhaland, after the UPA government gave a green signal to the formation of a new state of Telangana by bifurcating Andhra Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'El Chapo' appeals extradition to US
- Rahul to lead 'Mashal Juloos' in protest against power cuts, water crisis in Delhi
- CBSE Class Xth Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 pm; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- WATCH: MIRACLE! This fielder did the unthinkable during GL vs SRH Qualifier 2
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1