Gorkhaland interlocutor for early solution to separate state issue
Siliguri: Vijay Madan, the interlocutor for talks on the formation of a separate hill state of Gorkhaland, hopes for an early resolution to the issue.
Talking to reporters after a meeting with Bimal Gurung, the President of the Gorkha Janamukti Morcha (GJM), here on Wednesday, Madan said: "The meeting paved further modes with hopes for an amicable solution.
"I had a good interaction with the President. He gave me his views and I gave my views, and, hopefully, we should resolve this soon," he added.
He said the aim of holding the meeting was to elaborate on strategies of both state and central governments on separate state demand and to make the sixth round of tripartite talks productive.
The GJM members, however, stuck to their demand for including the Dooars and Terai region representatives in the Interim Council.
"We are very much adamant on our stand... whole of Siliguri and Dooars," said Roshan Giri, General Secretary of the GJM.
The sixth round of tripartite talks between the GJM, the Central and West Bengal Governments is to be held on May 14.
The fifth round of tripartite talks in New Delhi, it was decided to constitute the Interim Council by 2011.
The Gorkhas are demanding a separate state to protect their culture and heritage.
The Gorkha population in West Bengal is estimated to be around a million.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan to star in Ajay Devgn's ‘Baadshaho’?
- AgustaWestland bribery scam: CBI questions ex-IAF deputy chief JS Gujaral
- Subramanian Swamy may soon form Virat Hindustan Sansadiya Sangam of MPs for grand Hindutva concept
- Indian Premier League, Match 28: Gujarat Lions vs Kings XI Punjab - Preview
- Indian Premier League, Match 29: Rising Pune Supergiants vs Mumbai Indians - Preview