Gorkhaland interlocutor for early solution to separate state issue
Siliguri: Vijay Madan, the interlocutor for talks on the formation of a separate hill state of Gorkhaland, hopes for an early resolution to the issue.
Talking to reporters after a meeting with Bimal Gurung, the President of the Gorkha Janamukti Morcha (GJM), here on Wednesday, Madan said: "The meeting paved further modes with hopes for an amicable solution.
"I had a good interaction with the President. He gave me his views and I gave my views, and, hopefully, we should resolve this soon," he added.
He said the aim of holding the meeting was to elaborate on strategies of both state and central governments on separate state demand and to make the sixth round of tripartite talks productive.
The GJM members, however, stuck to their demand for including the Dooars and Terai region representatives in the Interim Council.
"We are very much adamant on our stand... whole of Siliguri and Dooars," said Roshan Giri, General Secretary of the GJM.
The sixth round of tripartite talks between the GJM, the Central and West Bengal Governments is to be held on May 14.
The fifth round of tripartite talks in New Delhi, it was decided to constitute the Interim Council by 2011.
The Gorkhas are demanding a separate state to protect their culture and heritage.
The Gorkha population in West Bengal is estimated to be around a million.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Unmissable! Deepika Padukone in an all-black outfit from 'xXx: The Return Of Xander Cage' sets—Pics
- US questions India-Iran Chabahar port deal
- IPL 2016: Superman AB de Villiers does it again, takes RCB into final with incredible 79-run knock vs GL
- Mbose.in & Megresults.nic.in MBOSE Tura Class 12th HSSLC Arts Results 2016 Meghalaya Board announced
- Mbose.in & Megresults.nic.in SSLC Results 2016: MBOSE Meghalaya Board Class 10th Exam Results 2016 declared