Gorkhaland issue to be taken up at the next CWC meeting: GJM
Darjeeling: Gorkha Janamukti Morcha on Monday claimed that the Gorkhaland issue would be taken up at the next CWC meeting.
"Ajay Maken (Congress general secretary) has assured to raise the issue of Gorkhaland in the next CWC meeting," GJM general secretary Roshan Giri said.
The Congress Working Committee meeting is scheduled to be held on July 29 and is likely to take a call on Telangana.
GJM is demanding that the issue of a separate state carved out in the Darjeeling hills be given priority by CWC when deciding on Telangana.
A GJM delegation, which is now in New Delhi, had met Maken yesterday, besides CWC member Digvijay Singh.
"So far, we met two leaders of the CWC and we are confident that they will raise our statehood demand in the next CWC meeting. On July 23, we have an appointment with Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram," Giri said.
The delegation will also seek an appointment with Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, he said.
A week earlier, a letter on the Gorkhaland issue was sent to all the 42 members of CWC, Giri added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown