Gorkhaland state soon: Gurung
Darjeeling: Gorkhaland Territorial Administration(GTA), which came into being earlier this month, is a `preparation` for a separate Gorkhaland state which would come into being soon, GTA chief Bimal Gurung has said.
"In six months (from the formation of GTA), or a year maybe. I will not let it delay further," Gurung, also president of Gorkha Janamukti Morcha, told PTI here in an interview.
Asked about his comment on West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee categorically speaking against the creation of a separate state, he said so many states have been created since Independence. "Why should only the Gorkhas not be allowed to have their state? Nothing short of statehood is a complete solution to the problems of the Gorkhas, be it identity or development. The geopolitical situation of the region logically demands a separate state."
Reposing faith in Banerjee, Gurung said as a chief minister she felt strongly for the hills and played an active role in making GTA come through but rued her government`s decision not to send anyone from the hills to the Rajya Sabha.
He said during the Saturday meeting with Banerjee it was resolved that a high-powered committee would submit its report on the inclusion of additional areas to GTA by early June.
GJM, he said, has given to the state government a list of 199 contiguous mouzas in the Dooars (foothills) and Terai (outer foothills) region which are dominated by Gorkhas for inclusion in the GTA, he said adding the opposition by tribals in the area was due to instigation by outside forces.
"GTA is not just for Gorkhalis. It is for everyone," he said adding GTA had plans for the development of the Darjeeling hills and restoring its glory. Education was the top priority, while focus would also be on industry and generation of employment.
Asked the reason behind GJM general secretary Roshan Giri signing all official agreements with the state government, including the GTA, Gurung said "I will sign only on a separate Gorkhaland state agreement."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees