Gorkhaland stir: Mamata calls for peace
Kolkata: Urging rival political groups to maintain peace in the bandh-hit Terai-Dooars region, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Monday said the decision on inclusion of Terai and Dooars in Gorkhaland Territorial Administration would be taken as per the GTA agreement.
"We always look for peace in the hills, Terai and Dooars. People of Terai and Dooars have their say. But everything will be done as per the GTA agreement and the recommendation of the high power committee formed as per provision in the agreement", Banerjee said here in a statement.
The Chief Minister`s appeal urging the leadership of the pro and anti bandh factions to maintain peace and harmony in the Terai-Dooars region of North Bengal came in the wake of an indefinite strike called by pro-GJM faction of Akhil Bharatiya Adivasi Vikas Parishad in the Terai-Dooars region from today.
Citing conflicting opinion among two different groups in the Terrai and Dooars region as the reason behind this problem, Banerjee said, "The GTA agreement has already been done. A committee has also been formed as per the agreement to settle various issues including inclusion of some areas. Everything will be done as per agreement."
"We have deferred the GTA election to June responding to the request of the GJM. The committee set up as per rules of the GTA agreement is an independent one. It must give its report to help resolve the issue", Banerjee said.
"I appeal to the leadership of both sides to maintain peace and harmony, refrain from clashes and maintain law and order in the Terai-Dooars region", Banerjee told reporters at the state secretariat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister