Gorkhaland stir: Mamata calls for peace
Kolkata: Urging rival political groups to maintain peace in the bandh-hit Terai-Dooars region, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Monday said the decision on inclusion of Terai and Dooars in Gorkhaland Territorial Administration would be taken as per the GTA agreement.
"We always look for peace in the hills, Terai and Dooars. People of Terai and Dooars have their say. But everything will be done as per the GTA agreement and the recommendation of the high power committee formed as per provision in the agreement", Banerjee said here in a statement.
The Chief Minister`s appeal urging the leadership of the pro and anti bandh factions to maintain peace and harmony in the Terai-Dooars region of North Bengal came in the wake of an indefinite strike called by pro-GJM faction of Akhil Bharatiya Adivasi Vikas Parishad in the Terai-Dooars region from today.
Citing conflicting opinion among two different groups in the Terrai and Dooars region as the reason behind this problem, Banerjee said, "The GTA agreement has already been done. A committee has also been formed as per the agreement to settle various issues including inclusion of some areas. Everything will be done as per agreement."
"We have deferred the GTA election to June responding to the request of the GJM. The committee set up as per rules of the GTA agreement is an independent one. It must give its report to help resolve the issue", Banerjee said.
"I appeal to the leadership of both sides to maintain peace and harmony, refrain from clashes and maintain law and order in the Terai-Dooars region", Banerjee told reporters at the state secretariat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org