Gorkhaland stir: Mamata calls for peace
Kolkata: Urging rival political groups to maintain peace in the bandh-hit Terai-Dooars region, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Monday said the decision on inclusion of Terai and Dooars in Gorkhaland Territorial Administration would be taken as per the GTA agreement.
"We always look for peace in the hills, Terai and Dooars. People of Terai and Dooars have their say. But everything will be done as per the GTA agreement and the recommendation of the high power committee formed as per provision in the agreement", Banerjee said here in a statement.
The Chief Minister`s appeal urging the leadership of the pro and anti bandh factions to maintain peace and harmony in the Terai-Dooars region of North Bengal came in the wake of an indefinite strike called by pro-GJM faction of Akhil Bharatiya Adivasi Vikas Parishad in the Terai-Dooars region from today.
Citing conflicting opinion among two different groups in the Terrai and Dooars region as the reason behind this problem, Banerjee said, "The GTA agreement has already been done. A committee has also been formed as per the agreement to settle various issues including inclusion of some areas. Everything will be done as per agreement."
"We have deferred the GTA election to June responding to the request of the GJM. The committee set up as per rules of the GTA agreement is an independent one. It must give its report to help resolve the issue", Banerjee said.
"I appeal to the leadership of both sides to maintain peace and harmony, refrain from clashes and maintain law and order in the Terai-Dooars region", Banerjee told reporters at the state secretariat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it