Gorkhaland stir: Mamata calls for peace
Kolkata: Urging rival political groups to maintain peace in the bandh-hit Terai-Dooars region, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Monday said the decision on inclusion of Terai and Dooars in Gorkhaland Territorial Administration would be taken as per the GTA agreement.
"We always look for peace in the hills, Terai and Dooars. People of Terai and Dooars have their say. But everything will be done as per the GTA agreement and the recommendation of the high power committee formed as per provision in the agreement", Banerjee said here in a statement.
The Chief Minister`s appeal urging the leadership of the pro and anti bandh factions to maintain peace and harmony in the Terai-Dooars region of North Bengal came in the wake of an indefinite strike called by pro-GJM faction of Akhil Bharatiya Adivasi Vikas Parishad in the Terai-Dooars region from today.
Citing conflicting opinion among two different groups in the Terrai and Dooars region as the reason behind this problem, Banerjee said, "The GTA agreement has already been done. A committee has also been formed as per the agreement to settle various issues including inclusion of some areas. Everything will be done as per agreement."
"We have deferred the GTA election to June responding to the request of the GJM. The committee set up as per rules of the GTA agreement is an independent one. It must give its report to help resolve the issue", Banerjee said.
"I appeal to the leadership of both sides to maintain peace and harmony, refrain from clashes and maintain law and order in the Terai-Dooars region", Banerjee told reporters at the state secretariat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents