Governor summons chief secretary to discuss law and order
Kolkata: West Bengal Governor M K Narayanan Thursday summoned state chief secretary, Samar Ghosh, to discuss the law and order situation in the wake of the recent spurt in political violence, particularly the killing of seven villagers in West Midnapore district on January 7.
Ghosh was accompanied by state Home secretary G D Gautama and DGP N Mukherjee, Raj Bhavan sources said.
The Governor had in a statement on the day of the killing expressed anguish at the deterioration of law and order situation and asked the government to act decisively before it
was too late.
"This has gone on for far too long. It is incumbent upon the authorities to act decisively to pre-empt or quell attempts at violence, irrespective of the affiliations of the groups
involved. A decisive stage has been reached for the Government to act, before it becomes a point of no return," he said.
"No democracy can allow such violence: no civilised society can tolerate such wanton disregard for human lives and no state can accept such mindless discord," the statement
Last week, Narayanan had said on the sidelines of a programme at Shibpur in Howrah district that he would also like to discuss the law and order situation with the chief minister.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview