Govt can`t be brokers in land dealing: Mamata
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee may be hardselling the state to investors but said today that the government cannot act as "brokers" and asked industrialists to buy land through negotiations directly for their projects.
"We are against forcible acquisition of land (for industries) and we continue to maintain our stand. The government cannot act as brokers or looters of land.
"Those industrialists who want to set up industry should buy land through peaceful negotiations directly," she told reporters here.
Government`s role in land acquisition leads to firing and involvement of `bad people`, she said.
She accused the erstwhile Left Front government of mishandling the land acquisition issue during its 34 years of rule which saw Singur and Nandigram episodes.
During LF rule 15,000 acres at Rajarhat (the satellite township adjoining Kolkata) were acquired from farmers forcibly, she charged.
"We do not want a repeat of the situation". The land at Rajarhat was taken away by the then government `secretly` and "unfortunately you (media) did not highlight this," she alleged.
Banerjee`s comments came days after former West Bengal chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee accused her government of driving away investors, jeopardising the state`s economy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi