Govt to announce relief package for tiger widows
Kolkata: The West Bengal government is contemplating a special package to rehabilitate widows of tiger victims in villages surrounding the Sunderbans forest. The government is concerned over increasing cases of tigers from the forest straying into villages in search of food and killing people due to rapid loss of prey base.
Minister of State for Sunderbans Affairs Shaymal Mondal said Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had sought a report on the number of widows of tiger victims living in the villages and
their economic condition.
The minister said he had apprised the chief minister of the causes for the tigers` forays into the neighbouring villages and the need for strengthening the prey base in the
Mondal said he had recently visited some villages in Gosaba, Kultoli and Basanti, adjacent to the forest, to see for himself the condition of the widows.
He is optimistic that the chief minister would announce a special package for the world-famous mangrove forest incorporating measures for rehabilitating the widows after going through his report.
Asked if he has already prepared a list of such widows, Mondal said, "As there are no records of the victims kept so far, I cannot tell the exact number of them. I have instructed the Block Development Officers to consult with local MLAs and voluntary organisations to prepare the list."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way