Govt to announce relief package for tiger widows
Kolkata: The West Bengal government is contemplating a special package to rehabilitate widows of tiger victims in villages surrounding the Sunderbans forest. The government is concerned over increasing cases of tigers from the forest straying into villages in search of food and killing people due to rapid loss of prey base.
Minister of State for Sunderbans Affairs Shaymal Mondal said Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had sought a report on the number of widows of tiger victims living in the villages and
their economic condition.
The minister said he had apprised the chief minister of the causes for the tigers` forays into the neighbouring villages and the need for strengthening the prey base in the
Mondal said he had recently visited some villages in Gosaba, Kultoli and Basanti, adjacent to the forest, to see for himself the condition of the widows.
He is optimistic that the chief minister would announce a special package for the world-famous mangrove forest incorporating measures for rehabilitating the widows after going through his report.
Asked if he has already prepared a list of such widows, Mondal said, "As there are no records of the victims kept so far, I cannot tell the exact number of them. I have instructed the Block Development Officers to consult with local MLAs and voluntary organisations to prepare the list."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users