Govt to announce relief package for tiger widows
Kolkata: The West Bengal government is contemplating a special package to rehabilitate widows of tiger victims in villages surrounding the Sunderbans forest. The government is concerned over increasing cases of tigers from the forest straying into villages in search of food and killing people due to rapid loss of prey base.
Minister of State for Sunderbans Affairs Shaymal Mondal said Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had sought a report on the number of widows of tiger victims living in the villages and
their economic condition.
The minister said he had apprised the chief minister of the causes for the tigers` forays into the neighbouring villages and the need for strengthening the prey base in the
Mondal said he had recently visited some villages in Gosaba, Kultoli and Basanti, adjacent to the forest, to see for himself the condition of the widows.
He is optimistic that the chief minister would announce a special package for the world-famous mangrove forest incorporating measures for rehabilitating the widows after going through his report.
Asked if he has already prepared a list of such widows, Mondal said, "As there are no records of the victims kept so far, I cannot tell the exact number of them. I have instructed the Block Development Officers to consult with local MLAs and voluntary organisations to prepare the list."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video