Group to build 500 schools across country
Kolkata: Round Table India (RTI), a non-profit organisation which has tie-ups with several state governments, will build 500 school blocks across the country in the next five years, its president said here Saturday.
RTI will engage in the project in association with a central government programme, "Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan".
"Through our programme, `Freedom Through Education` (FTE), we have in the last 12 years built 1250 schools. We hope to build at least 100 school blocks every year for the next five years," RTI president Ashwini Kumar Hemadev told mediapersons here.
"According to a report by World literacy Foundation, illiteracy has been costing our economy around $53 billion annually. There is income imbalance to the tune of 30 percent to 42 percent between a literate and an illiterate person. Through FTE we hope to cure this imbalance," said Hemadev.
The RTI, in its golden jubilee year, will be dedicating 107 school blocks during the year.
"Formed in 1962, we will be dedicating 107 school blocks to the country in our golden jubilee year with a view to promote education in areas lacking educational infrastructure," Hemadev added.
The organisation identifies areas lacking infrastructure, then provides the basic schooling infrastructure before handing them over to the government school administration.
The organisation will inaugurate a 12-classroom school block at Hooghly`s Begampur Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened