Group to monitor fire safety in hospitals
Kolkata: All hospitals and nursing homes
in the city will come under inspection by a combined group of
personnel to monitor if fire safety norms are strictly adhered
to as per ideal building code.
Mandatory requirements were laid down on Thursday at a
high-level meeting chaired by state chief secretary Samar
Ghosh who said whether fire safety measures were fool-proof
or not would be monitored and non-compliance would invite
Ghosh told reporters that specific time limits would
be fixed for fulfilment of the fire safety measures.
The meeting, attended by Commissioner of Kolkata
police, DGP, ADG (hq), Disaster Management secretary and Fire
services director, decided that civil defence volunteers would
be imparted training in fire services. ``They should be
available as auxiliary fire service personnel``.
The fire service department would also be revamped and
the department had been asked to purchase gas masks,
breathing apparatus and other inputs in adequate quantity, he
The chief secretary said that Kolkata Municipal
Corporation had been asked to verify if building plans of
nursing homes and hospitals were altered by the parties even
The Corporation and the police would jointly work in
Disaster Management department will publicise a
guideline for observing fire safety norms in multi-storyed
residential buildings, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH