GTA accord: PC compliments Mamata, Gurung
Sukna (WB): Union Home Minister P Chidambaram
on Monday complimented West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee
and Gorkha Janmukti Morcha president Bimal Gurung for making
the Gorkhaland Territorial Administration agreement possible.
"Today I stand witness to the historic events when years
of conflict have been brought to an end by the vision of two
people - Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and my good friend
of two and a half years Bimal Gurung," he said at the
"I compliment them both. They have shown great will,
sagacity and farsight and above all, love and compassion,"
He also thanked local BJP MP Jaswant Singh on the
Thousands of Gorkha Janmukti Morcha supporters, who
assembled at Pintail village, where the GTA agreement was
signed, greeted Chidambaram`s comments with thunderous
applause and roaring cheers.
While conveying the good wishes of Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi and Union Finance Minister
Pranab Mukherjee to the people of Darjeeling, he said, "They
would all have loved to be here on this occasion, but you
understand the difficulty of so many people being here at the
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed