GTA election in late June or early July: Giri
Darjeeling: A day after meeting West
Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, Gorkha Jan Mukti
leaders on Sunday said polls would be held in the hilly areas of
Darjeeling district in late June or early July.
"Polls for Gorkha Territorial Administration will be held
in the hill areas initially," GJM secretary Roshan Giri said
in a rally at Chakbazar in Darjeeling town.
Polls would be held in Dooars and Terai regions if they
are included in the GTA, he said.
GTA will have a total of 50 seats. Polling would be held
in 45 seats and five members would be nominated by government.
As per the demands of the GJM, the Justice Shyamal Sen
Committee had been formed to see whether 398 mouzas - 196
mouzas in Dooars, 3 mouzas in Rajganj and 199 mouzas in areas
near Siliguri - would be included in the GTA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch