GTA election in late June or early July: Giri
Darjeeling: A day after meeting West
Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, Gorkha Jan Mukti
leaders on Sunday said polls would be held in the hilly areas of
Darjeeling district in late June or early July.
"Polls for Gorkha Territorial Administration will be held
in the hill areas initially," GJM secretary Roshan Giri said
in a rally at Chakbazar in Darjeeling town.
Polls would be held in Dooars and Terai regions if they
are included in the GTA, he said.
GTA will have a total of 50 seats. Polling would be held
in 45 seats and five members would be nominated by government.
As per the demands of the GJM, the Justice Shyamal Sen
Committee had been formed to see whether 398 mouzas - 196
mouzas in Dooars, 3 mouzas in Rajganj and 199 mouzas in areas
near Siliguri - would be included in the GTA.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Vodafone appoints six investment banks for $3 billion India IPO
- No takers for Kingfisher Airlines brand at online auction
- Uttarakhand forest fire: PMO assures help for relief work
- AgustaWestland row: Aam Aadmi Party to gherao Sonia Gandhi, PM Narendra Modi's residence on May 7
- Poll contest in Kerala heading from 'bi-polar' to 'tri-polar': Arun Jaitley