GTA: High-power committee urged to submit report
Kolkata: The Justice Shyamal Sen Committee has been appealed to submit its report on the issue of inclusion of Dooars and Terai areas in the Gorkhaland Territorial Administration by early June, the GJM said on Saturday.
"A resolution to this effect has been passed after a meeting between a seven-member Gorkha Janmukti Morcha delegation led by its president Bimal Gurung and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee," GJM General Secretary Roshan Giri told reporters after a 2-hour meeting.
Giri said that both the state government and the Morcha agreed to abide by the resolution. Government representatives in the Committee, he said, would be nominated in consultation with the GJM.
The GJM has demanded 398 mouzas (area less than a sub- division), including 196 from Dooars, 199 in Terai and three
in Rajganj to be included in the GTA, the new hill council
that will run the administration in Darjeeling.
Asked if the report did not suggest any new area for inclusion in GTA, Giri retorted, "How can that be..? We are present in Dooars and Terai. We have proved our majority there. Of course, we will have additional areas in Terai and Dooars."
He was referring to the Gorkha-dominated areas in the Terai and Dooars in Jalpaiguri and Darjeeling districts in the plains.
Giri said that election to the GTA would be held either by June-end or early July on the basis of the report of the high-power Committee.
West Bengal Chief Secretary Samar Ghosh, state Home
secretary G D Gautama were also present at the meeting.
Giri said that election would be held on the basis of
delimitation of constituencies.
GJM president Bimal Gurung said that the meeting with the
chief minister was cordial and he was satisfied with the
Gurung said that at the time of signing of the GTA
agreement, it was envisaged that the high-power committee
would submit its report within six months on the inclusion of
areas in the Terai and Dooars.
He said that if the report was submitted earlier, it
would have been beneficial.
The GTA Bill was passed in the West Bengal Assembly on
September two last year. It received assent from President
Pratibha Patil on March seven this year.
Earlier, a tripartite agreement for setting up the GTA
was signed on July 18 last year in the presence of Union Home
Minister P Chidambaram, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata
Banerjee and GJM chief Bimal Gurung at Pintail village, near
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested