Gurung not yet decided on contesting GTA election
Darjeeling: Gorkha Janmukti Morcha president Bimal Gurung is yet to decide whether to contest the election to the newly-formed Gorkhaland Territorial Administration, though he is not very keen on holding any administrative post.
GJM sources said several senior leaders, including the party`s general secretary Roshan Giri, had told Gurung that his absence would turn the GTA into a non-starter and wanted him to head the autonomous set-up.
Gurung, however, said he would personally choose the candidates. The list of candidates is likely to be published on July 5.
Giri said his party had decided to take part in the election to bring about development and peace in the hills.
On the other hand, Trinamool Congress candidates are likely to file nomination on July 9, sources in the Darjeeling District Magistrate`s office said.
The CPI-M, which has lost its influence in the hills over the years, has not yet decided on participating in the election.
K B Watter, a prominent leader of the party, said his party would take a final call on July 4.
"Our cadres are worried about their safety if they take part in the elections," he said.
Other hill forces CPRM (Communist Party of Revolutionary Marxists) and ABGL (Akhil Bharatiya Gorkha League) will meet on the same day to finalise their stand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Sarbananda Sonowal takes charge as Assam’s first BJP CM, PM Modi attends his swearing-in
- Desperate times, desperate measures! Parineeti Chopra's make-up ain’t gonna stop – See pic
- IPL 9 VIDEO: When Shikhar Dhawan, Yuvraj Singh became Gabbar and taxi driver
- First Talgo train trial on Bareilly-Moradabad rail route on May 29
- Rahul Gandhi to lead rally against AAP, BJP over Delhi power crisis