Gurung threatens to quit GTA alleging Bengal`s non-cooperation
Darjeeling: The Gorkhaland Territorial Administration, the two-year-old body to govern Darjeeling hills, has become an impediment to Gorkhaland, GJM president Bimal Gurung today said and threatened to quit it as its head if the West Bengal government "continued non-cooperation".
Calling for resumption of agitation to realise the Gorkhaland demand, Gurung told Morcha leaders at the Gymkhana Club here that the GTA, which was set up in July, 2011 after an agreement among the Centre, the GJM and the West Bengal government, had become an obstacle in the path of carving out a separate state.
He said the state government was dragging its feet over transferring departments to the hill body and threatened, "At any time I can quit the GTA along with all 45 members of the body because the government seemed hesitant to transfer departments to the GTA."
He said the state government was "continuing its non-cooperation".
However, while calling for resumption of Gorkhaland agitation, Gurung was this time careful not to use the prefix `militant` as he had done it last week in response to Mamata Banerjee`s snub for shouting Gorkhaland slogans in a state- sponsored programme in the hills.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read