Gurung threatens to quit GTA alleging Bengal`s non-cooperation
Darjeeling: The Gorkhaland Territorial Administration, the two-year-old body to govern Darjeeling hills, has become an impediment to Gorkhaland, GJM president Bimal Gurung today said and threatened to quit it as its head if the West Bengal government "continued non-cooperation".
Calling for resumption of agitation to realise the Gorkhaland demand, Gurung told Morcha leaders at the Gymkhana Club here that the GTA, which was set up in July, 2011 after an agreement among the Centre, the GJM and the West Bengal government, had become an obstacle in the path of carving out a separate state.
He said the state government was dragging its feet over transferring departments to the hill body and threatened, "At any time I can quit the GTA along with all 45 members of the body because the government seemed hesitant to transfer departments to the GTA."
He said the state government was "continuing its non-cooperation".
However, while calling for resumption of Gorkhaland agitation, Gurung was this time careful not to use the prefix `militant` as he had done it last week in response to Mamata Banerjee`s snub for shouting Gorkhaland slogans in a state- sponsored programme in the hills.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28