Gutka, paan stains turn Howrah Bridge into spittoon
Kolkata: Kolkata`s famous landmark Howrah Bridge, regarded as one of the world`s most busiest, would soon undergo a makeover to protect its pillars from being used as spittoons by pedestrians.
Officials of the Kolkata Port Trust (KoPT), which maintains the bridge, said they have decided to install fibre glass covers at the base of its 78 pillars to prevent corrosion of the hanger-hoods caused by indiscriminate spitting.
"Collective spitting by commuters after eating `paan` and `guthka` is having such a bad affect on the health of the bridge that the thickness of the steel hoods protecting the hangers have reduced by 50 per cent of their original size in the last four years," KoPT`s chief engineer A K Mehra said.
Explaining how the 705-metre-long cantilever bridge`s longevity is being damaged as a result, he pointed out that the half-chewed betel leaves, areca nut and slaked lime spat on its base contain highly corrosive elements that erode steel.
"It is now affecting the stability of the hangers that transfer the load of traffic uniformly across the structure," he said.
The protective hoods at the base of the hangers prevent water seeping into the junction of the cross-girders and hangers.
As a temporary measure, they have already painted primer zinc chromate on the hanger-hoods.
According to a 2007 survey by KoPT, more than 1,20,000 vehicles and 500,000 pedestrians use the bridge everyday to cross the Hooghly river flowing between the twin cities of Howrah and Kolkata.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report