Guv asks WB govt to act to curb violence
Kolkata: Making a fresh appeal to the
state government for initiating immediate steps to curb
growing political violence, West Bengal Governor M K Narayanan
today said it was the time for action and not discussion.
"This is the time to act in the given situation
(political violence) and not the time to discuss," the
Governor told reporters during his visit to Dakshineswar
Adyapeeth temple near.
The Governor was requested to comment on the state
Housing Minister Gautam Deb`s initiative through SMS to
Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee for a face-to-face
talk with Chief Minister Buddhadev Bhattacharjee to evolve a
solution to the growing violence.
Without replying to the query, Narayanan said it was
time for action not discussion.
Worried about the worsening law and order, the
Governor has already summoned top brass of the administration
and asked the state government to concentrate more attention
on improving the situation.
Following footsteps of his predecessor Gopalkrishna
Gandhi who slammed the state government for Nandigram
violence, Narayanan has also expressed dismay at deterioration
of law and order situation in the state, particularly after
the killing of eight persons at Netai village in Lalgarh on
He had said on that day that the killing was "a day of
sorrow and shame" for the state and asked the government to
act before "reaching a point of no-return".
Taking a proactive stand, Narayanan has also expressed
desire to visit the Netai village to talk to the affected
villagers likely on Jaunary 19.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!