Hangman Nata Mullick dead
Kolkata: Hangman Nata Mullick, whose 25th
execution was rape and murder convict Dhananjoy Chatterjee
five years ago, today died of old age ailments here.
He was 89 and died at a hospital here, his family
Mullick was also known for his acting skills and
histrionics. He played the role of a hangman in Mrinal Sen`s
film "Mrigaya" in the 1970s.
He also acted in `jatras` (open air theatres) and in
Mullick had to come out of retirement to hang
Chatterjee as he the only official hangman in the state and
agreed to do the job on condition that the government provides
a job to one of his sons.
Apartment guard Chatterjee was convicted of rape and
murder of 15-year-old schoolgirl Hetal Parekh.
Mullick`s father Shiblal Mullick too was a hangman
during the British period who executed freedom fighters.
"Nata`s father was the best hangman of his time and
his son too never faltered in any of the 25 executions," a
family member said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- OROP stalemate to end soon, Govt's draft agreement ready, claim sources
- Roger Federer cleans court by removing bottles, towels left by other players