Hangman Nata Mullick dead
Kolkata: Hangman Nata Mullick, whose 25th
execution was rape and murder convict Dhananjoy Chatterjee
five years ago, today died of old age ailments here.
He was 89 and died at a hospital here, his family
Mullick was also known for his acting skills and
histrionics. He played the role of a hangman in Mrinal Sen`s
film "Mrigaya" in the 1970s.
He also acted in `jatras` (open air theatres) and in
Mullick had to come out of retirement to hang
Chatterjee as he the only official hangman in the state and
agreed to do the job on condition that the government provides
a job to one of his sons.
Apartment guard Chatterjee was convicted of rape and
murder of 15-year-old schoolgirl Hetal Parekh.
Mullick`s father Shiblal Mullick too was a hangman
during the British period who executed freedom fighters.
"Nata`s father was the best hangman of his time and
his son too never faltered in any of the 25 executions," a
family member said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family