Happy to break silence, not feeling intimidated: Shobhaa De
Kolkata: Celebrated author and journalist Shobhaa De on Thursday said after the large scale protests by political parties which her latest tweet had evoked, she was happy to break her silence and was not feeling intimidated.
"This (her tweet) is something which has to be strenuously defended and am happy to break the silence and I am not feeling intimidated.
"I am also happy about the public support which I have received (for the tweet) and the Mumbai police has been very proactive in this regard", De told reporters here on the sidelines of a FICCI Ladies Organisation (FLO) event here.
Yesterday, De had tweeted that Mumbai be separated from Maharashtra. This came on close heels of the proposed creation of Telengana state carved out of Andhra Pradesh. It had led to protests by political parties, including the Shiv Sena.
Later in the night she had clarified that her tweet was purely satirical and `much misconstrued`.
"I suggest the political parties should concentrate on the potholes of Mumbai. Mumbai is a city of potholes. This is not only for the Mumbaikars but also for those who visit the city," she said.
Asked to comment whether the move to create the Telangana state was a case of political opportunism, De said "It is not that, but definitely the timing is suspect".
"It is worrisome that India will see very ugly elections. There is an attempt all over the country to kill and suppress the voice of dissent. We must resist that. All politicians should be watched and monitored by all and sundry and one should speak up fearlessly," she said.
To a query, she said divisive attempts by interest groups as seen in the demand for a number of states would make the country weak. "However, all demands for separate states should not be put in the same bracket".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Yogi Adityanath's speech on his first visit to Gorakhpur after becoming UP CM
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?