Harassed by molesters, woman attempts suicide in Bengal
Kolkata: Continuously threatened and harassed for lodging a police complaint against her molesters, a 20-year-old woman is battling for life after attempting suicide in West Bengal`s North 24 Parganas district, police said Friday.
The woman, a resident of Habra in the district, some 50 km from Kolkata, was hospitalised in a critical condition Thursday after she consumed poison, unable to bear the constant threats.
"We arrested two people after the family lodged a complaint that the duo had been harassing and threatening the girl," an officer of Habra police station said. The incident occurred in the area within this police station`s jurisdiction.
The two men have been presented before a court.
Following the complaint by the woman, a man was also arrested earlier. After he was released on bail, his associates began threatening the girl with dire consequences.
"They have been threatening my daughter, so much so that she had stopped even coming out of the house, in fear," her mother said.
The incident comes days after a minor victim of gangrape succumbed to severe burn injuries after she reportedly tried to immolate herself.
The girl, in her dying declaration, however, said other people had set her on fire.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- Yuvraj Singh outsmarted by Zaheer Khan's rumoured girlfriend Sagarika Ghatge on troll attempt!