Haripur Nuke plan: `Centre to be informed of people`s opinion`
Kolkata: With the Trinamool Congress
opposed to setting up of a nuclear power plant at Haripur in
East Midnapore district, Industry Minister Nirupam Sen said
tonight that the Centre would be informed about the people`s
opinion if it wanted the land there to be acquired.
"The location of a nuclear power plant is not decided
by a state government. There is a national expert`s committee
which has found the location at Haripur suitable," Sen told
"If the Centre wanted land acquisition at Haripur, the
state government would inform it about the sentiments of the
local people," he said.
Sen demanded that Trinamool MP Subhendu Adhikari from
East Midnapore should also inform the Centre about local
Earlier, Trinamool Congress leader in East Midnapore
district Sisir Adhikari (Subhandu`s father), who is the Union
Minister of State for Rural Development, had said his party
was against a nuclear power plant coming up in Haripur as it
would "affect" the livelihood of the people and the area was
also thickly populated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley