Hawkers run amok at station after death of colleague
Bolpur (WB): Agitated hawkers on Monday ran amok at Bolpur station in Birbhum district by squatting on railway tracks and ransacking the station compound alleging that one of their colleagues died after being beaten by an RPF ASI.
30-year-old Tapan Das was beaten severely by the ASI at the station compound and thereafter made to sit in a dingy room without care for 15 minutes, leading to his death, they alleged.
The hawkers ransacked the station compound after this and gharaoed the RPF office while demanding immediate arrest of the ASI.
They also squatted on railway tracks and placed the body of the deceased across one, blocking the movement of trains.
Birbhum SP Rishikesh Meena, who arrived on the spot, appealed them to stop, but to no avail, following which they were dispersed by police in a lathicharge.
The angry hawkers also allegedly beat up an SI from Bolpur police station.
Meena said he had spoken to the concerned officials of the GRP, who will will investigate the matter, and RPF and "a case against the RPF officer has been lodged."
The Santiniketan Express was delayed by 40 minutes in the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof