HC allows microphone use in six north Bengal districts
Kolkata: The Calcutta High Court on Wednesday passed
an interim order allowing the use of microphones from April 9
between 10 am and 8 pm for electioneering in six districts
going to West Bengal assembly polls.
A division bench of Chief Justice J N Patel and Justice A
K Roy passed the interim order in response to a petition filed
yesterday by Trinamool Congress leader Mukul Roy seeking
permission to use loudspeakers during poll campaign from April
9 -- a day after completion of the Higher Secondary
Except Darjeeling town, where CBSE Class XII examinations
are scheduled on April 13, microphones can be used for
election campaign in six north Bengal districts.
The six districts are scheduled to go on polls on April
Roy in his petition had stated that in states like Assam
and Kerala, use of microphone has not been banned for election
A notification issued by the West Bengal Pollution
Control Board and the state Environment department on March 17
had banned use of loudspeakers while examinations were on.
The petition said CBSE examination would culminate on
April 13 and as per the notification loudspeakers cannot be
used till that date.
Many remote areas in these districts do not have TVs or
radios rendering it impossible for political parties to convey
their views to people in the absence of loudspeakers, the
petition had pleaded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs