HC directs WB govt to file status report on 49 Jhargram cases
Kolkata: Calcutta High Court Friday directed
the West Bengal government to file a status report on 49 cases
that were filed in Jhargram police district in West Midnapore
in which 500 killings, gangrapes and disappearences were
reported but no action had been taken, as claimed by a PIL.
A division bench comprising Chief Justice J N Patel and
Justice Asim Kumar Roy directed the state government to file
the report by March 24 on the PIL that was filed by renowned
author and social activist Mahasweta Devi and others.
The petitioners` counsels Kashikanta Moitra and Sardar
Amjad Ali submitted before the court that Jhargram police
district had been carved out of Midnapore district considering
the serious law and order situation in Jhargram.
They stated that the social activists, taking information
from records, found that 49 FIRs involving over 500 murders,
59 persons missing and several cases of gangrapes had been
lodged since September 2010.
The petitioners claimed that despite astonishing numbers
involved, there have been no investigation into the cases.
It was claimed that most of these incidents occurred
during operations carried out by the local police with joint
forces and cadres of a particular political party.
The petitioners prayed for a CBI probe claiming that with
the alleged involvement of state forces, it was not possible
to get an independent investigation by state agencies.
Advocate General Balai Roy submitted that the number of
alleged cases was high and sought three months to submit the
But the bench declined to give so much time and directed
the state to furnish the status of each case that has been
filed, as alleged in the PIL, by March 24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt