HC notice to WB minister over Singur remarks
Kolkata: The Calcutta High Court on Tuesday issued a contempt notice to West Bengal Minister Becharam Manna for allegedly making derogatory comments against judiciary over its order on disputed land at Singur and summoned him on December 18.
Manna, the Minister of State for Agriculture who was sworn in last month, also faced a privilege notice in the state Assembly.
A division bench of the High Court comprising Acting Chief Justice Pratap Kumar Roy and Justice Subol Baidya, taking note of comments allegedly made by Manna, directed him to appear before the court on December 18.
Senior counsel Bikash Bhattacharya brought Manna`s alleged comments, published in newspapers and telecast on TV news channels, to the notice of the court and prayed for issue of suo motu contempt rule against the minister.
Bhattacharya claimed that Manna, during a public meeting to observe `Singur Divas` on December 2 at Beraberi market in Singur, had made the alleged derogatory comments against the judiciary with regard to an order of the High Court. Singur is the site of the now defunct Tata Motors Nano car plant.
The division bench, after hearing Bhattacharya and going through the documents produced by him, directed that contempt rule be issued against Manna.
A breach of privilege motion against Manna will be placed in the Assembly during the Winter Session beginning from December 7.
"We have received a privilege notice from CPI(M) member Abdur Rezzak Mollah, which will be placed in the House on December 10," Speaker Biman Banerjee said.
Farmers at Singur had agitated during 2006-08 after their land was acquired by the then Left Front government and Manna, a peasant leader from Singur, had played a key role in organising the protests.
The government had acquired 997 acres for setting up of Nano car plant, but the Trinamool Congress demanded that 400 acres be returned to farmers who unwillingly parted with their land.
The Calcutta High Court had struck down the Singur Land Rehabilitation and Development Act 2011 under which the West Bengal government had reclaimed 400 acres of land.
The state government had gone on appeal against the order before the Supreme Court, which has stayed the order of the High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow