HC notice to WB minister over Singur remarks
Kolkata: The Calcutta High Court on Tuesday issued a contempt notice to West Bengal Minister Becharam Manna for allegedly making derogatory comments against judiciary over its order on disputed land at Singur and summoned him on December 18.
Manna, the Minister of State for Agriculture who was sworn in last month, also faced a privilege notice in the state Assembly.
A division bench of the High Court comprising Acting Chief Justice Pratap Kumar Roy and Justice Subol Baidya, taking note of comments allegedly made by Manna, directed him to appear before the court on December 18.
Senior counsel Bikash Bhattacharya brought Manna`s alleged comments, published in newspapers and telecast on TV news channels, to the notice of the court and prayed for issue of suo motu contempt rule against the minister.
Bhattacharya claimed that Manna, during a public meeting to observe `Singur Divas` on December 2 at Beraberi market in Singur, had made the alleged derogatory comments against the judiciary with regard to an order of the High Court. Singur is the site of the now defunct Tata Motors Nano car plant.
The division bench, after hearing Bhattacharya and going through the documents produced by him, directed that contempt rule be issued against Manna.
A breach of privilege motion against Manna will be placed in the Assembly during the Winter Session beginning from December 7.
"We have received a privilege notice from CPI(M) member Abdur Rezzak Mollah, which will be placed in the House on December 10," Speaker Biman Banerjee said.
Farmers at Singur had agitated during 2006-08 after their land was acquired by the then Left Front government and Manna, a peasant leader from Singur, had played a key role in organising the protests.
The government had acquired 997 acres for setting up of Nano car plant, but the Trinamool Congress demanded that 400 acres be returned to farmers who unwillingly parted with their land.
The Calcutta High Court had struck down the Singur Land Rehabilitation and Development Act 2011 under which the West Bengal government had reclaimed 400 acres of land.
The state government had gone on appeal against the order before the Supreme Court, which has stayed the order of the High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'