Heat wave conditions in West Bengal
Kolkata: The southern and western districts of West Bengal, including the metropolis, on Monday reeled under a severe heatwave, with forecast of similar weather conditions on Tuesday.
The city recorded the day`s highest temperature of 40.2 degrees Celsius, regional Met director G C Debnath said.
"While parts of the city suffered from heatwave conditions, districts in western and southern Bengal suffered from severe heatwave conditions," he said.
Birbhum, Burdwan, Bankura, Purulia and West Midnapore districts recorded around 45 degrees Celsius or more during the day.
There was little hope for any respite from the severe heat tomorrow, he said.
Meanwhile, roads and public places were seen almost empty at noon in the metropolis and in other districts assailed by intense heat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened