Heavy rains expected in coastal areas of Bengal
Kolkata: With cyclone Phailin likely to hit Odisha by today evening, coastal areas of West Bengal like Digha in East Midnapore and Contai bordering Odisha are expected to have heavy rains, Meteorological office here said.
A high tide has already begun in Digha, they said.
Fishermen have been alerted and asked not to venture into the sea.
South Eastern Railway sources said, "In all likelihood, all south-bound trains beyond Kharagpur are likely to be cancelled."
Kolkata, however, is expected to experience light to medium rainfall and an overcast sky, the MeT office said.
There would be no direct impact of the cyclone in Kolkata, they said.
Phailin, a "very severe" cyclone, is expected to hit the east coast today evening, with winds gusting up to 220 kmph. Lakhs of people have been evacuated to safer places.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read