Hooch toll rises to 173
Canning: With two more deaths being
reported in the state`s worst-ever hooch tragedy in West
Bengal, the toll rose to 173, officials said.
At the Diamond Harbour sub-divisional hospital, two of
the victims passed away while ten were released on Friday.
Ninety-six patients were released on Friday while 16
are still admitted there, hospital sources said.
In Kolkata`s Bangur Hospital, National Medical College
Hospital and Behala`s Vidyasagar Hospital, sixty hooch victims
are being treated now.
The victims, most of them being labourers, rickshaw
pullers and hawkers, fell ill after consuming spurious liquor
from several illegal joints on Tuesday night.
Preliminary investigations suggest that they died due to methyl alcohol
toxicity which led to respiratory and cardiac failure.
Arrested hooch manufacturer Rafi-ul-Naskar was
produced in the court today who has been given a police remand
of 14 days.
A total of 18 people have been arrested in the case so
far, police said they are searching for another accused Noor
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had announced a CID
inquiry into the tragedy after which a five-member CID team
has been visiting the spot daily to investigate the case since
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley