Hooch toll rises to 173
Canning: With two more deaths being
reported in the state`s worst-ever hooch tragedy in West
Bengal, the toll rose to 173, officials said.
At the Diamond Harbour sub-divisional hospital, two of
the victims passed away while ten were released on Friday.
Ninety-six patients were released on Friday while 16
are still admitted there, hospital sources said.
In Kolkata`s Bangur Hospital, National Medical College
Hospital and Behala`s Vidyasagar Hospital, sixty hooch victims
are being treated now.
The victims, most of them being labourers, rickshaw
pullers and hawkers, fell ill after consuming spurious liquor
from several illegal joints on Tuesday night.
Preliminary investigations suggest that they died due to methyl alcohol
toxicity which led to respiratory and cardiac failure.
Arrested hooch manufacturer Rafi-ul-Naskar was
produced in the court today who has been given a police remand
of 14 days.
A total of 18 people have been arrested in the case so
far, police said they are searching for another accused Noor
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had announced a CID
inquiry into the tragedy after which a five-member CID team
has been visiting the spot daily to investigate the case since
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video