Hostel superintendent suspended after death of medical intern
Kolkata: A day after a medical intern died and another went critical due to suspected drugs overdose at a hostel of the premier state-run SSKM Hospital here, authorities on Sunday suspended the hostel superintendent.
"Superintendent Dhrubraj Rakshit has been removed from the post. This is just the preliminary action as we got no feedback from him after the incident happened. He did not even contact us," hospital`s Director Pradip Mitra told.
Drugs and syringes were found in the hostel room where the interns - Saptarshi Das and Shahbaaz Siddiqui - spent the Friday night.
Das died yesterday while Siddiqui was battling for life. Hospital sources said his condition improved during the day.
Shocked to learn that drugs had entered the hostel located in the hospital campus, authorities were now planning to take strict action to prevent recurrence of such cases.
"The matter has come to light because of the incident and we will take preventive measures like not allowing any outsider to enter the hostel," Mitra said.
A meeting of the hostel committee, which consists of the dean of students` welfare, senior faculty members, student representatives, etc, has been called to decide on strict steps.
The patients` welfare committee of the hospital, whose chairman is minister Firhad Hakim, will also meet tomorrow to discuss the matter. The panel also sought a report from the hospital management.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indians face public wrath in Congo after Congolese national bludgeoned to death in Delhi; govt rejects racism claims
- Trump denounces illegal immigrants as tensions flare
- Regardless of N-deal, primary American embargo on Iran to stay: US Treasury Department
- UK PM Cameron says EU referendum turnout is greatest concern for 'In'
- US states sue White House over transgender bathroom use