Housewife set on fire by husband and in-laws in Burdwan
Burdwan: A housewife was allegedly set on fire by her husband and in-laws in Memari area of Burdwan district, police said Friday.
Arshad Sheikh of Dadpur village lodged an FIR alleging that his daughter Shakila Bibi was set on fire by her husband Saifuddin Mollah and in-laws on July 29 night.
Shakila was rushed to the Burdwan Medical College Hospital by her neighbours. She succumbed to her burn injuries last night, police said.
Sheikh also alleged that after marriage his daughter was physically and mentally tortured by her husband and in-laws.
Shakila was married to Saifuddin for the last five years.
On the basis of the FIR, Saifuddin Mollah has been arrested by police while the others named in the FIR are absconding, Superintendent of Police of Burdwan S M H Meerza said.
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Sunita Williams, team to ensure safe cargo flights to ISS
- West Bengal polls: Bhawanipur to witness star-studded electoral battle
- Grenade attack on police post in J&K's Anantnag, security tightened
- World Immunisation Week: Narendra Modi government proactive, Mission Indradhanush good initiative - Praises from Gavi CEO
- Kareena Kapoor Khan, Amrita Arora's boxing session will give you fitness goals! – See pictures