How dada will remember Jyoti babu
Kolkata: Former Team India captain Sourav
Ganguly has said he would always remember Jyoti Basu for
congratulating him for the two centuries he scored during his
debut Test series against England in 1996 and for attending
"Life comes to an end in death and that is natural,
everybody has to bow to death. There is no third umpire here.
We have lost a legend," Ganguly said.
"I will always remember him for two things. He had
come to my wedding and congratulated Dona and I and also
congratulated me after my debut Test series against England
where I scored two centuries," he said.
"I was felicitated by the government of West Bengal
and he had handed me a trophy. It still adorns my cupboard,"
Ganguly told a Bengali newspaper.
Basu and Ganguly also shared the same birth date and
both had studied at St Xavier`s.
"I share my date of birth, July 8, with him. I knew
it, he did not. Once during a function at the Netaji Indoor
Stadium, I spoke to him about this. He told the gathering I`ll
always be reminded of Ganguly on my birthday."
The iconic batsman said he had always prayed Basu
would complete a century and felt saddened that he could not.
"On the cricket pitch, I`ve missed centuries on several
occasions and have felt bad. But, I always felt that Jyotibabu
should completed a century. It did not happen," said Ganguly.
Basu, he said, was very popular. "Whenever people
outside India came to know that I`m a Bengali, they asked
"Due to age, he retired from active politics. But he
was like a guardian. Kolkata and Bengal lost a guardian in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!