Huge cache of arms recovered in Bengal
Kolkata: A huge cache of arms and ammunition was recovered from a pump house in an agricultural field in West Bengal`s Burdwan district, the police said.
"Acting on a tip off, we raided Zahid Sheikh`s pump house at Ketugram and recovered 11 firearms, four pistols, two muskets, 60 box bombs, 40 kg of gunpowder, four daggers and some empty magazines", said Burdwan Superintendent of Police Humayan Kabir.
"We could not arrest Zahid, who is a political activist. We are not aware of his political affiliations", said Kabir.
Raids are being conducted across the district to seize illegal arms and ammunition to ensure free and fair election during upcoming West Bengal assembly polls, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part II
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part III
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part IV
- Chennai: Woman Infosys employee stabbed to death at railway station
- Uma Bharti admitted to AIIMS, stable
- Microsoft's 'Project Premonition' mosquito trap helps tackle spread of Zika and other diseases
- Parts of Uttar Pradesh receive rain, water level rising in major rivers
- 17% Indian pregnant women suffer from obesity, diabetes
- Mob attacks police post in J&K's Kupwara, 18 policemen injured