Huge cache of arms recovered in Bengal
Kolkata: A huge cache of arms and ammunition was recovered from a pump house in an agricultural field in West Bengal`s Burdwan district, the police said.
"Acting on a tip off, we raided Zahid Sheikh`s pump house at Ketugram and recovered 11 firearms, four pistols, two muskets, 60 box bombs, 40 kg of gunpowder, four daggers and some empty magazines", said Burdwan Superintendent of Police Humayan Kabir.
"We could not arrest Zahid, who is a political activist. We are not aware of his political affiliations", said Kabir.
Raids are being conducted across the district to seize illegal arms and ammunition to ensure free and fair election during upcoming West Bengal assembly polls, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Supreme Court admits plea to declare triple talaq illegal; issues notice to Centre
- Philippine govt, Communist rebels agree on indefinite truce: Norway
- Italy earthquake toll rises to 267
- No pathway for legal status for illegal immigrants: Trump
- Apple devices failing more than Android smartphones: Study