Huge procession turns out at Tamang`s funeral
Siliguri: Thousands of people in Darjeeling Monday poured onto the streets braving rain to join the silent funeral procession of slain All India Gorkha League (AIGL) president Madan Tamang, sending out a clear signal of rejection to the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha.
The procession was taken out from Rhododendron-del, the residence of Tamang, at around 10 am.
The body was first taken to the AIGL party office at Laden-la road in Darjeeling and then, proceeded via Manebhanjan to Tamang`s native village, Meghma, 30 km away
from Darjeeling town, where the cremation would take place.
People from all walks of life, including teachers and school students, joined leaders and workers of the Democratic Front, the anti-GJM eight party combine which includes CPRM, AIGL, Congress and BJP, to pay their last respect to the leader, who has been called as "the first martyr for democracy in Darjeeling hills."
The silence was punctuated by slogans against Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) president Bimal Gurung and General Secretary Roshan Giri.
Adequate police arrangement was made to help maintain peace and law and order.
Inspector General of Police (North Bengal), KL Tamta, who is now camping in Darjeeling, told reporters that the people had spontaneously kept their shops and business establishments closed for the third day today as a mark of grief for the departed leader.
The GJM had also called a four-hour bandh to pay respect to Tamang today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark