I don`t respect Advani as a leader: Mamata
Kolkata: Alleging that LK Advani was helping the communists by campaigning in constituencies where her party candidates were in fray, Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee Thursday said she had no respect for the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) stalwart as she never supported destruction of the Babri mosque.
"I respect his age, but I don`t respect him as a leader. I never supported destruction of Babri mosque," Banerjee said here.
She pointed out that all the four election meetings Advani held during the day were in constituencies where her party candidates were contesting.
"This shows the BJP has targeted the Trinamool to help the CPI-M (Communist Party of India-Marxist). In fact, they have tied up with the CPI-M," she said.
Banerjee, who was part of the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance in two phases between 1999 and 2006, said she had never surrendered to the dictates of the saffron party.
"I seldom held joint meetings with them. I had to align with them to save West Bengal from CPI-M misrule as the Congress then was hand-in-glove with the Marxist party."
Banerjee also came down heavily on the rebel candidates of her alliance partner Congress. "These people and whoever is sponsoring them are stooges of the CPI-M."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt