I just can`t imagine students beating a teacher: Narayanan
Kolkata: Taking strong exception to students assaulting teachers in colleges, West Bengal Governor M K Narayanan on Tuesday said that he could not imagine students beating teachers.
"In my time when I was a student, students beating a teacher, I just couldn`t imagine," Narayanan, also the chancellor of universities in the state, told reporters on the sidelines of a programme.
"I have taken strong objection and made some very strong statement", he said.
After the assault of a college teacher in-charge allegedly by SFI activists at Kalinagar college in Sandeshkhali in North 24 Paragana on Saturday, the Governor remarked that "the students who beat the teacher should be beaten up" which sparked off controversy.
The Governor, however, said, "If controversy goes on, I can`t help that".
Earlier, Narayanan had expressed displeasure over "indiscipline" in some universities in the state and exhorted the administration and student bodies to create a proper ambience.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof